Wedding planning has lost it's shine. The wedding is shinier than ever, deciding between wood or metal folding chairs not so fun. To distract myself, I've picked up a new hobby that I've always been interested in.... sewing.
My gramma sewed. I remember her sewing pants for me in the mornings when I stayed with her so I'd have something to wear during the day. Itchy, 70's style polyester pants, bright coral. Elastic waist. Inability to discern which was the front and which was the backside. She made an easter outfit for me when I was 5. It was a white sort of off the shoulder dress, with a matching odd hat that was basically a strip of fabric that buttoned together, making a cottony, conical affair with no center. She made that dress again, but in grey, that had something to do with my first communion. I remember feeling very elegant with the droopy shoulders. And now that I've started sewing myself, I can picture her more clearly, sorting through patterns, picking something out to make for me. Picking the fabric. Guessing the size. I don't remember her ever measuring me, so she must have just been good at guessing the sizes. I have a cousin, also a girl, who is a few months older than me and I know that grandma made two versions of the same dress for us a few times. I was always jealous of cousin Christine's fabrics. I was a jealous little girl.
Gramma's real specialty, though, had to have been the 70's style halter top/short sets. I'll dig up some photos but for now, will just leave with this! Simplicity 6908, available here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 [comments]:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.