Hello kittens! Mr. Bug and I completely dorked out tonight and bought matching laptops. His was five years old and only stayed on if he held the cord in the exact right position. Mine sounded like a jet plane, was sans-CD drive and frequently shut off for no reason. And we can’t have a computer emergency on our hands,now, can we??

I’ll be back bright and early tomorrow (OK, maybe dark and later.) I’ve got pencil skirt fitting on the brain and the pattern pieces for beignet cut and altered. While I’m busy re-installing Photoshop and playing with my new toy, please chime in with any pencil-skirt fitting tips. I’ll compile, add my own and hopefully have a frightening photo of a table-cloth beignet muslin for you all tomorrow! Meow!

vintage-liili-ann-suit-1954

[photo from Damn Good Vintage]

10 [comments]:

Anonymous said...

Hey Patty, I definitely found Sunni's advice to lengthen the pencil skirt at the hip if the fit is going wonky worked for me, now it's one of my go to alterations.
~Alana :)

Laurwyn said...

I am no use for that. I am a pencil skirt struggler (to be pronounced in tune with the song from Shreck "I am a believer").
I can't wait for your next post ;)

lap said...

All my pencil skirt fitting tips speak to my extremely flat behind and might not prove useful unless one has similar fitting issues. With Beignet I would make sure I did my fitting with buttonholes, because I could foresee the finished buttonhole "give" creating extra ease potentially..

Kate said...

Oh, it's like you read my mind. I have been searching for pencil skirt alterations all morning, without much luck. Please PRETTY please I hope someone will address the issue of fitting a pencil skirt on a wide waist with narrower hips. I know, I know, perhaps this is not the correct figure for a pencil skirt in the first place... but I want to try.

Your tutorials are always thorough and helpful. I look forward to lots of posting on the Beignet, it's on my sewing list.

Suzanne said...

I gave up on pencil skirts. they are designed by satan. LOL i hope you have better luck my love!

Karen in VA said...

I can't give you any help, but since I just bought the beignet pattern, i'm planning on borrowing whatever fitting tips you come up with!! Can't wait to see your muslin...

Anonymous said...

As a plus size woman I always use fitting and pattern alteration a multi method approach by Liechty Pottberg and Rashband, for making skirt alterations. I have a bit of a tummy as well as a sway back and round booty... :)

Ola

Suz said...

I wish I had some tips to share but I'm still a newby. Just wanted to say Hi because I'm in Mpls too.

Moth said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with........I haven't braved the pencil skirt yet - because of fit issues.....mainly the issue of extra curvy-ness in areas not meant to be curvy. LOL!

Tilly said...

I'm working on a pencil skirt at the moment and it's not as quick a job as I'd hoped! A muslin is a must, as you may need to shorten or lengthen at different places - the hip or mid thigh. But then the real fabric also needs to be played around with a bit to get the side seams right - close fitting enough to not look frumpy but loose enough so you can sit down! It seems to come down to trial and error. I wish I'd set the machine to basting stitch, as I've got four lines of small stitches to pull out!

Looking forward to the fitting being over so I can come up with some embellishments - I'm thinking either two small bows above the front darts, or buttons on the waist band...

Love the new blog layout, by the way!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
top