As I was cleaning up my sewing room earlier today, vacuuming scraps of fabric before the basset hound could gobble them up (she will literally eat anything) I thought of how my dustbuster is such a high-value sewing accessory. Which got me thinking on other sewing essentials not readily available at Joann’s. Here’re some clues…

Can I say it one more time? I am in love with my dustbuster (actually a dirt devil…) I am a clip as I go sewer (no thread tails at the end of the project for me!) and I usually keep a jar by my machine to use as a little table-top scrap catch-all, but I still end up with thread, scraps, pins, everywhere. Not to mention the dust in the kitchen when I’m done cutting. Ugh. The dustbuster makes it awesomely easy to keep the chaos a little under wraps. Ours is rechargeable, cordless, with a flip out crevice tool and lives right next to my sewing table!
[my digital camera]

If there was one thing I learned from
Self-Stitched September, it was how beneficial it is to snap a photo of an outfit or garment to help me analyze how the style and fit is working for me. Oddly, a full month of self portraits also helped to boost my self-esteem a bit – my ankles aren’t
nearly as bad as they look in the reflection of the doors at Target! I loved
The Cupcake Goddess’s post on how to take great photos (aren’t hers the best?) and I have a working tripod on my wishlist, although I won’t know how to pose my extra arm once it doesn’t have to take photos!
[my big johnson]

This is the 4 foot long aluminum ruler that I swiped from Mr. Bug’s tool chest (paying him back for all those times he swiped my rosary pliers from my jewelry making chest…) Ours really does say Big Johnson on it. Clearly this ruler was named by someone’s 12 year old son. Or one of the guys back home. I have the normal
collection of clear rulers with all the little markings and angles from my quilt making days and I use those, too, but sometimes the 4 foot long metal ruler is just perfect.
[my computer]

And everything that goes with it. A sublist: my top five sewing-related computer activities and/or software (in roughly descending order of use and usefulness) blogs (that’s all you!), Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and Illustrator especially), Google, email and
patternreview.com – I just love seeing those patterns on other people!
Windows Live Writer gets an honorable mention, although it’s not sewing related at all, it just makes blogging easier! I can’t wrap my head around how my grandma learned to sew and got questions answered prior to the computer age!
[an adoring fan]

That’s right, I’m including Mr. Bug in my list of essential non-sewing, sewing accessories. I cannot obtain him at Joann’s, although he burning to put his business idea of a Joann’s-carwash partnership into action. Dan is usually interested in my projects, will gamely play “what do you think this pattern piece will make?” with me and generally responds to even my worst attempts with a “You look hot” type of comment. It’s great to have someone to bounce ideas off of, and to tell me it’s working – we get that here in blog-land too, but nothing beats in-person!
So there’s my top five non-sewing, sewing essentials! What are yours? Anything made it out of the basement, garage or kitchen into the sewing room? Share the wealth!
[the dustbuster]
8 [comments]:
Great list! I have to give this some thought...
Oh my gosh I laughed out loud at making Mr Bug play 'what do you think this pattern piece will make?' I'd totally make Mr Sewaholic play that game if I thought he would! I suggested it this morning but he didn't seem too keen on the idea...
And I love that all of your rulers have interesting sayings on them - the big johnson and the good rule!
I've never thought much about what other people do with their discarded threads and trimmed seam allowances. Efficiency is most important to me: I toss everything on the floor to pick up and vacuum up later.
My dear hubby has moved beyond the "bemused tolerance" stage to the "brutally honest stage". I'm not sure which is better (:
Funny! and TRUE!
I agree with your choices. Especially having someone to check your ideas with.
I've got two T-squares for drafting that I use a lot.
And a soapstone pencil to mark dark fabrics.
(Can you tell that I love hardware stores?)
I need one of those 'an adoring fan' accessories! I have one that sighs alot and trys to look interested :) One of my favourite accessories are my plumbing washers that i use as pattern weights, they were free as i borrowed them from Russ's shed. Have a great week!
I've never met a dustbuster that actually did the job it claimed to---though I can see how having a functioning one would be awesome!
My list would include my glass-top coffee table (aka lightbox, essential for tracing), and my printer. Since I trace out most of my patterns I often end up with a LOT more pieces of paper than will fit in the little pattern envelopes, so I store my used patterns in big manilla envelopes. To keep these straight I label them, of course, but I also love printing off a quick pic of the line-drawing and a picture of my garment to go with and gluing them to the front. It's a rudimentary system but it makes me happy :)
Oh, and my gluesticks, would be totally lost without them (you may have noticed an affinity for the Burdastyle downloadable patterns in my sewing... ;) )
Humph. My adoring fan apparently knows how to read (who knew) and now (since reading this post), in addition to being adoring, has taken to stepping up his requests for his coat. That we bought the wool for in March. Yes. I'm that wife...
washers as pattern weights! Brilliant!
Well - our dustbuster works well - it's a dirt devel wedding present. We have to empty it a lot, but it's awesome!
That's brilliant using the glass table as a lightbox. And glue sticks. I don't have a glue stick in the house - I've seen that some people use instead of pins for itty bitty stuff. That must be special glue??
I have the Jenny skirt downloaded and I just can't bring myself to assemble!
I can see the usefullness of the t-squares... wonder if Dan has some in his tool area??
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.