I had a busy day today, nearly finishing McCalls 5974 (only the neckline to finish!) and completely finishing my altered version of Kwik Sew 3003, a basic skirt, cut on the bias with an elastic waist. For anyone who reads my blog semi-regularly, you might be struck over the oddness of me making a bias-cut, elastic waistband skirt. This skirt is one of our beginning classes that I’m teaching next month, so I thought it’d be good to make it before teaching it! It’s a super easy skirt (ovb!) and the turtleneck pattern that also came in the envelope  looks like a nice basic as well. The fun part of the skirt was fulfilling my recent jonesing for a bright, funky explosion of a skirt. With embroidery. And layers. Here’s the only photo I could stand from the photo session.

OK, about the elastic waist. I can’t remember the last time I wore an elastic waist garment apart from my PJs. The puffiness, unflattering waist placement and general flare from my hips aren’t really a look that works on me, which is fine. I tried a few outfits that were a combo of the skirt, a tank and a cardi and they were all just lumpy city. I’ve always wished I could rock the slip-as-skirt look with a tank in the summer, but it’s just not for me! No matter – I still like the skirt for a little changearoo!

Here’s a shot of the envelope of the pattern – I made version B which has a center seam on the front and back.

3003

I went with one of our Japanese fabrics for the skirt and when I was done decided to take it a bit further. One of our regular customers was in the other day and had on a cute skirt that was A-line and had two layers. I’ve been obsessing over the layer thing all weekend, so I decided to try it myself. I cut off about four inches of the skirt then cut a 8.5 inch strip of a coordinating print, finished the edges and topstitched the strip to the bottom of the skirt, overlapping by about 3 inches. Here’s a shot of the back of the skirt – you can see the bottom edge of the skirt (I finished by serging), the topstitched seam about 3 inches up and the little under-layer skirt.

IMG_1900

I also made a little ‘vent’ in the back of the underlayer and used one of my funky stitches. I secured the top of the vent at the top using the same funky stitch. Yay fancy stitches – the savior of people like me who hate hemming!

So. My thirst for multiple prints and excessive embroidery having been sated, I will boldy go on to new projects. Tomorrow I’ll unveil the McCalls dress! And I’ve a pile of voile, a Pendrell pattern and a roll of wax paper just calling my name!

4 [comments]:

Laurwyn said...

Yeay for sergers! I had one for Christmas and I cannot wait to use it (well, to figure out how it works first!). I really like your layering.
I completely get you about the elastic waist... My grand ma used to make me those skirts and I used to fake happiness...

Suzanne said...

I know, snuggy buggy, I feel your elastic waist pain! I do find that they work the higher up you make your waist. With pears like us, the smaller waist helps to give ease for those puckers to work themselves out.

Gaidig said...

I know this is kind of off-topic, but I love your cardigan. I really need to get better at the whole layering thing. I have tons of cute short sleeve and sleeve-less shirts, but then I moved from Georgia to Michigan, and I don't know how to dress.

Anonymous said...

I don't care for elastic waists either, so is that a nix for all possible figure types? :)

I do, however, love the fabric and I think your sewing students will be totally inspired!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
top